What does it take to survive and win the hyper-competitive world of startups? This includes cracking the code on understanding the necessary mindset, managing your company, making your numbers work, avoiding hidden traps that kill startups, how to pitch your business and breaking out of a failed plan.
Meet other entrepreneurs in a relaxed social setting at monthly socials!
- May 16, 2019 – Communication: How to Pitch at TBD in Newport News
- June 5, 2019 – Social Gathering at the Virginia Beer Company in Williamsburg
- June 20, 2019 – Micropitch Competition at the Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce in Hampton
- July 18, 2019 – Marketing Your Startup at TBD in Newport News
- Aug. 7, 2019 – Social Gathering at St. George Brewing Company in Hampton
- Aug. 15, 2019 – Forming a Legal Entity at TBD in Newport News
- Sept. 4, 2019 – Pitch Perfect at Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce in Hampton
- Sept. 19, 2019 – Pitch Perfect at TBD in Newport News
All events are from 6-8 p.m.
SCORE Workshop: It Makes Cents – Financial Management for Small Business
Learn what small business owners need to know to become literate with their business’s finances and be better equipped to sport financial problems or areas of concern, so they Williamsburg SCORE will offer a Business Educational Workshop on Saturday May grow their business.
Topics will include:
Basic Accounting Concepts
- Understanding an income statement
- Understanding a balance sheet
How to Financially Evaluate Your Business
- Knowing the difference between margin and mark-up
- Tracking key performance indicators
Cash Flow Projections
- Budgeting / planning cash flow
- Knowing your net cash position – do you have the cash you need
- The importance of managing cash flow
•Differences between bookkeepers, accountants, and Certified Public Accountants
$15 paid in advance, $20 by check at the door
Saturday, May 18 at 9 a.m.
Greater Williamsburg Chamber & Tourism Alliance, 421 N. Boundary Street, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Home-Based Business Lunch & Learn Series
Home-based businesses are invited to bring a bag lunch and enjoy free drinks and desserts. Each month a different locality will host a monthly session with networking, a keynote speaker and Q&A. Topics vary each month. Please view the flyer for complete details.
- June 12 – Solopreneur vs. Entrepreneur: Which Are You and How Should You Be Set Up? Featuring Nany Gonzalez of MOR Consulting Services
- July 10 – The Invisible Brand: How to Get Found Online featuring Gretchen Bedell of Odd Moxie
- Aug. 14 – Working From Home & Making It Work featuring Zee Worstell of Cumuli Learning Platforms
- Sept. 11 – Pivot Point: Recognizing When Change is Needed featuring Bill Dittmar of Executive Fusion
- Oct. 9 – Perfecting Your Presentation: Passion, Connection and Relevance featuring Curtis Cobert of the City of Hampton
- Nov. 13 – Quickbooks Quick & Dirty: Tips on Proper Bookkeeping featuring Karen Burnett of By the Book, Inc.
- Dec. 11 – Home-Based for the Holidays: Lunch & Learn Wrap-Up Event featuring Marilen Crump of Artinspired
Please RSVP to email@example.com or 757-890-3317.
Please view the flyer for complete details.
This series is sponsored by the Counties of York, Gloucester, James City and the Cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson and Williamsburg.
Small Business Development Center Workshop: Managing Your Personal and Business Credit
It costs money to start a business. Managing Your Personal and Business Credit will assist you in making the right choices to fund the business. This workshop offers a wide range of helpful information designed to help you reach your financial goals. With a better understanding of the many resources available to finance your business venture and how lenders view and assess your company’s creditworthiness, you will be better prepared to obtain the funding you need to grow and thrive. You’ll also learn how to use the 5 C’s as a credit management tool to run your small business.
Tuesday, June 18 from 9 a.m.-noon
Hampton Roads Small Business Development Center, 600 Butler Farm Road, Hampton, VA 23666
To register, please visit the Hampton Roads Chamber Calendar of Events.
For more information, please contact 757-865-3128.
Thomas Nelson Community College and Hampton Roads Small Business Development Center
SCORE Workshop: How to Start & Manage Your Own Business
Are you interested in starting a business but concerned about …how to begin? ...where to begin? ...whether your idea makes sense? Here’s your chance to get some answers.
After this workshop you will know…
- how a business plan can help you
- your options for a legal structure of the business
- the importance of creating a budget
- the good news and the bad news about getting financing for your business
- how to define your product or service benefits and your target customer
- where to look for help and guidance
Don’t fall into the trap of “Build it and they will come” (because they won’t).
Free, but advance registration required.
Wednesday, July 10 at 6 p.m.
Williamsburg Library, 515 Scotland Street, Room B, Williamsburg, VA, 23185
2019 Military Job Fair Sponsored by the Military Affairs Council of the Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
Connect with employers that are ready to hire at the 2019 Military Job Fair. Job search assistance available for all. Computers available. There will be three seminars:
- How to Work a Job Fair – 8:15 a.m.
- Federal Workshop – 9:15 a.m.
- Employers Panel – 10:30 a.m.
This event is open to active-duty/retired military, reservist, DOD civilians, dependents and veterans from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. and to the general public from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.
Dress for success. No children permitted. Resume preferred.
Thursday, July 18 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Newport News Marriott at City Center, 740 Town Center Drive, Newport News, VA 23606
For more information, please contact 757-325-8162 or email Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Military Affairs Council of the Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce in collaboration with the Military Family Support Center Employment Programs
Nonprofit Management Institute
The Nonprofit Management Institute (Institute) is a joint initiative of the Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center and NetworkPeninsula. The Institute began in January 2019. The goal of the Institute is to educate nonprofit professionals and equip them with best practices in all areas of nonprofit management, leadership and development.
- Classes will be held at Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center in Williamsburg on Fridays from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Actual class time will be five hours with one hour for lunch and two 15-minute breaks.
- Participants will receive .5 CEUs per class plus five CFRE points per class.
- The pilot year will include classes for participants to complete a Certificate in Fundraising Management and/or a Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership. Some classes can also be applied to additional Certificate programs, which will be added in subsequent years. These will include Certificates in Resource Development, Organizational Development, Financial/Legal Management, Volunteer Management, and Board Education. Ultimately, students will have an opportunity to pursue a Certificate in Nonprofit Management by completing a number of courses.
- Aug. 23, 2019 – Conflict Resolution (Nonprofit Leadership and Volunteer Management)
- Sept. 13, 2019 – Team Building Techniques & Creative Facilitation (Nonprofit Leadership and Volunteer Management)
- Oct. 11, 2019 – Board Governance (Nonprofit Leadership and Board Education)
- Nov. 8, 2019 – Essentials of Human Resource Management (Nonprofit Leadership and Organizational Development)
- Dec. 6, 2019 – Time & Meeting Management (Nonprofit Leadership)
*This class is required for anyone working toward the Certificate in Fundraising Management who has less than 3 years of experience in a fundraising position.
Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center, 4135 Ironbound Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188
To register, please visit http://networkpeninsula.org/nmi/ for complete directions.
$75 for NetworkPeninsula members and $85 for all others
Thomas Nelson Workforce Development Center and Network Peninsula