What if I don’t install a grease control device?

If a FSE uses or generates FOG in food preparation, it will eventually encounter a maintenance problem with a plugged building sewer line. The blockage can create a sewer backup situation and ultimately a potential health problem within the establishment. If the problem develops on the private side of the sewer line, then the establishment has direct responsibility for paying for the repair or remediation. If the grease blockage is in the public sewer main, and it can be proven that the establishment is the cause of the blockage, then the establishment could pay for the public sewer to be maintained. Additionally, HRSD (Hampton Roads Sanitation District) will be notified and can place a monitoring station on your sewer outflow. Should they discover excessive FOG amounts, an additional charge will be added to the facility utility bill. Please note that restricting or blocking a sanitary sewer line is considered a violation of the federal Clean Water Act.

Show All Answers

1. What is FOG?
2. What are the negative impacts of FOG?
3. What is a Grease Control Device?
4. What is a gravity grease interceptor and how does it work?
5. What is hydromechanical grease interceptor and how does it work?
6. What is a Food Service Establishment (FSE)?
7. Do I need a grease control device?
8. Can you recommend a maintenance schedule?
9. Do I have to have any training on proper FOG handling procedures?
10. How can I get in compliance?
11. Do I have to keep any records?
12. What if I don’t install a grease control device?
13. How does the JCSA ensure compliance?
14. Are there any fees or penalties for non-compliance?
15. What are the criteria for inspecting grease control devices?
16. What about using my garbage disposal or use detergent to wash it down the drain?
17. What is the JCSA doing about educating the public?